Skip to main content

"The Real Fundamentalists" By James Spurgeon (http://howlingcoyote.blogspot.com)

The Real Fundamentalists

I grew up in what I thought was the fundamentalist movement. In my formative years I was enamored with the Sword/Hyles branch of fundamentalism and what it supposedly represented. As the years went by I began to see that this movement (which I now affectionately label 'IFBx') was only a caricature - a mean-spirited shallow one at that - of what fundamentalism once was at its conception. When I compare the modern Church to the Church of 100 years ago, the group that now labels itself 'fundamentalists' in many ways does not resemble its forebears. I know that I run the risk of painting with too broad a brush, but that's okay. Maybe the fact that I do will enliven the conversation.

I'm no church historian, but there are two things that I see that I think you have to be in order to call yourself a fundamentalist properly. You must have two characteristics. The first is an adherence to the fundamentals of the faith as historically defined by that movement. The second is a certain tenacity in defending those truths and other essential doctrine within the world of Christianity at large. In short, it is not enough to be fundamental. One must be a fightin' fundamentalist or one is not a fundamentalist at all.

Please don't think I am endorsing the mean-spiritedness embodied in IFBxers of today. I'm not talking about fighting over non-essentials. I'm not talking about secondary ecclesiastical separation and beyond. I'm not talking about the splitting into groups over personality cults. I'm not talking about earnestly contending to keep 'canned' music out of our worship services.

What I am talking about is earnestly contending for the faith which was once delivered to the saints. It is a lost art in our post-modern world. I am talking about polemics.

The Puritans did it. The early Baptists thrived on it. People used to believe something and chomp at the bit to expound upon it and defend it and expose error. But we're too squeamish for that now. We'd rather all just get along. We live in a day of peace at any price.

Once again, I am not calling for mean-spiritedness. But I do wish we still had some guts and could show those guts in a gentle way.

Anyway, as I look out from my admittedly minimally advantageous vantage-point (don't you just love oxymorons?), I think there are some fundamentalists still around, but they don't use that label. I see men like John Piper writing books defending the orthodox view of God's omniscience and sovereignty against the heresy of the Open View. I see R. C. Sproul, John Gerstner, John Piper, John MacArthur and others like them standing up to the dumbing down of sola fide embodied in documents like ECT. I see John MacArthur speaking out, writing books calling the Church to come back to a sound soteriology and away from creeping decisionalism, quick-prayerism, and easy-believism. I see the call for a re-emphasis on biblical methodology and a plain proclamation of the gospel along with a call for an exposition of Scripture from our pulpits.

My point is, that real fundamentalists are still around, they just go by other labels now.

What reminded me of all of this was reading a series of posts written by Phil Johnson on his Pyromaniac blog.

Here are the links: { Didn't transfer in link form. God to http://phillipjohnson.blogspot.com }
Real Spiritual Warfare Is Not Like a Round of Doom
Picking Up Where We Left Off Tuesday
Now, Let's Get Personal
Spurgeon On Warfare, Compromise, and the Sword of the Spirit
More About the Weaponry of Spiritual Warfare
Why Not Follow the Simple Strategy God Gave Us?

As I was reading those posts I was saying to myself, You know, that Phil is a real fundamentalist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

Are Arminian Baptists Legitimate Biblical Churches?

With all the discussion going on about whether Presbyterians are biblical churches because of infant baptism, I would like to ask if we believe that Arminian Baptist churches are legitimate churches? If a Baptist Church, regardless of their affiliation if any, believes in a universal, insufficient atonement by Christ, issuch Baptist Church really a biblical church? And if so, how can we say that it is when it involves the very heart of the gospel in the atonement. Further, how can we say that those Presbyterian churches that believe in a particular, sufficient atonement yet infant baptism are not biblical, yet those that believe in a universal, insufficient atonement yet believers baptism by immersion are biblical churches. Inquiring mind wants to know ;- ). Thanks..... P.S. Still Baptist and thank the Lord for it!