Skip to main content

"Spurgeon Speaks Postmodernism From the Grave" From Steve Camp's Blog (www.stevenjcamp.blogspot.com)

Spurgeon Speaks to Postmodernism from the Grave

Titled & Compiled by Dr. James White

"We have to deal with a spirit, I know not how to denominate it, unless I call it a spirit of moderatism in the pulpits of protestant churches. Men have begun to rub off the rough edges of truth, to give up the doctrines of Luther and Zwingle, and Calvin, and to endeavour to accommodate them to polished tastes. You might go into a Roman Catholic chapel now-a-days, and hear as good a sermon from a Popish priest as you hear in many cases from a Protestant minister, because he does not touch disputed points, or bring out the angular parts of our Protestant religion. Mark, too, in the great majority of our books what a dislike there is to sound doctrine! the writers seem to fancy that truth is of no more value than error; that as for the doctrines we preach, it cannot matter what they are; still holding that

"He can't be wrong whose life is in the right."

"There is creeping into the pulpits of Baptists and every other denomination, a lethargy and coldness, and with that a sort of nullification of all truth. While they for the most part preach but little notable error, yet the truth itself is uttered in so minute a form that no one detects it, and in so ambiguous a style, that no one is struck with it. So far as man can do it, God's arrows are blunted, and the edge of his sword is turned in the day of battle. Men do not hear the truth as they used to. The velvet mouth is succeeding to the velvet cushion, and the organ is the only thing in the building which giveth forth a certain sound. From all such things, "good Lord deliver us!" May heaven put an end to all this moderatism; we want out-and-out truth in these perilous days; we want a man just now to speak as God tells him, and care for nobody. Oh! if we had some of the old Scotch preachers! Those Scotch preachers made kings tremble; they were no men's servants; they were very lords, wherever they went, because each of them said, "God has given me a message; my brow is like adamant against men; I will speak what God bids me." Like Micah, they said, "As the Lord my God liveth, whatsoever my God saith unto me, that will I speak." Heroes of the truth, soldiers of Christ awake! Even now there are enemies. Think not that the fight is over; the great warfare of truth waxes more hot and fierce than ever. Oh! soldiers of Christ! take your swords from your scabbards! stand up for God and for his truth again, lest a free grace gospel should be forgotten."

"But I think that the worst battlement the churches have now, is an earthwork of great and extreme caution. It is held to be improper that certain obnoxious truths in the Bible should be preached; sundry reasons are given why they should be withheld. One is, because it tends to discourage men from coming to Christ. Another is, because certain persons will be offended on account of these rough edges of the gospel. Some would say, "O keep them back! You need not preach such and such a doctrine. Why preach distinguishing grace? Why divine sovereignty? Why election? why perseverance? why effectual calling? These are calculated to offend the people, they cannot endure such truths." If you tell them about the love of Christ, and the vast mercy of God, and such like it will always be pleasing and satisfying; but you must never preach deep searching law-work, you must not be cutting at the heart and sending the lancet into the soul-that would be dangerous. Hence most churches are shielding themselves behind an ignominious bulwark of extreme caution. You never hear their ministers spoken against; they are quite safe behind the screen you will be very much puzzled to tell what are the real doctrinal views of our modern divines. I believe you will pick up in some poor humble chapel more doctrinal knowledge in half an hour, than in some of your larger chapels in half a century. God's church must be brought once more to rely upon the pure truth, upon the simple gospel, the unalloyed doctrines of the grace of God. O may this church never have any bulwark but the promises of God! May he be her strength and shield! May his Aegis be o'er our head and be our constant guard! May we never depart from the simplicity of the faith!"

Comments

Gracie Chambers said…
Very interesting points Bret. I find your quotes very convicting, especially the third one baptists pulpits. Amen brother. Sounds to me like you are convicted and "rightfully aware" of the same issues. May we preach the biblical gospel. The one that Jesus did. Jam 4:6 "But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."

Bret, you should check out www.livingwaters.com and see HELL'S BEST KEPT SECRET bar at the top. And check out www.wayofthemaster.com I enjoyed your blog so far man. Please consider checking out mine too: DTFDisciples based on Mar 8:34 And when he had called the people [unto him] with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him DENY himself, and TAKE up his cross, and FOLLOW me.
http://dtfdisciples.blogspot.com/
Pester Brat said…
Dear Jonathan:

Thank you for reading and responding to my Blog Post, and for your encouragement.

Do you participate and read articles on "The Highway" (www.the-highway.com)? That website is what God used to bring me to a greater understanding of His wonderful sovereign grace in salvation. I appreciate your recommendation of the article by James Adams on "Decisional Regeneration." I have read that before, and is probably posted in my Blog somewhere.

I also checked out your Blog, and wholeheartedly agree with you about such issues as Decisional Regeneration being false, repentance, taking up our cross, etc. Where it looks like we do disagree is regarding the results of God's drawing, aka born again, regeneration, quickened/made alive. Once God has regenerated a sinner dead in trespasses, they will see their sin for what it is in light of our Holy, Just God, and see their need for the Lord Jesus Christ and trust in Him with a repentant faith.

Since you mentioned such people as Charles Spurgeon, James Adams (by way of the article), Thomas Boston, and "The Highway" then you probably also know that these folks also believe that those God does draw (His elect) will put their trust in the Person and Work of Christ with a repentant faith.

Notice in Jn.6:44 that it says Christ will raise up those that the Father draws. Earlier in verse 37 it says "All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and he that comes to Me I will in no wise cast out." And Acts 13:48 says that those who were ordained to eternal life believed. We have not inherited the nature of Adam and Eve before the Fall, but their nature after the Fall.

The term "free will" (by the way, I was serving the Lord in the Free Will Baptist Association for 12 years, 10 of those years agreeing with all of their doctrine)can mean different things to different people. Of course no Christian will believe the will is completely free therefore being able to stop sinning or coming to Christ without any influence by the Spirit of God. However the human will is free to do what it "wants." But what the person wants is always in accordance with the person's nature. No one can "choose" contrary to their nature. "For the natural man receiveth not the things of God, for they are foolishness unto him, neither can he know them because he is spiritually discerned." For the life of me, I don't see how so many Christians still think that the "things of the Spirit of God" is everything except the gospel:-).

Anyway, there certainly is no room in the word of God for easy believism. Even though many Christians accuse those who believe in election and the effectual call through the new birth, of fatalism, since it is God who begins the good work and will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Phlp.1:6), such Christians will have a repentant faith to the end and will not sin habitually as a way of life. In other words, their lives will be charcterized by denying self and taking up the cross and following the blessed Lord Jesus Christ. As you may agree however, most Christians in our country and time have not really been put to the test. But I believe that we may be put to the test one day in our lifetime.

Thank you again for commenting. May the Lord bless you as you serve Him, and as we worship and enjoy Him forever. For that is what we were created and redeemed by Christ to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

"The Pill: Is It Abortifacient?" From Challies.com

Interesting article for your information. First 10 responses included. To see the article and all of the responses, go to www.challies.com/archives/000564.php . The Pill: Is It Abortifacient? Here's a topic I've been meaning to bring up for a while. Before I start, I should point out that my knowledge of the sciences (other than aspects of computer science) is absolutely shameful. I last studied science in my second year of high school and only passed because during the final exam I sat behind and to the right of the class brain and was able to copy her multiple choice answers (I offer no excuse for my behaviour except to say I was unregenerate at that time). So my knowledge of biology and chemistry are poor at best. Before I begin, I'd like to point out that I have no aversion to using birth control. My wife and I have had only two children in our six years of marriage, so you could correctly draw the conclusion that we have employed birth control to space out our children