Skip to main content

Letter To A Friend By Bret Lovitz

The following letter was sent to a professing Christian I have gotten to know outside of the church through my secular job. I removed his name of course. I post this to see if God may be pleased to use this in anyone else's life that it may apply to


Hey Brother Xxxxx:

Sorry, I’m just getting to this e-mail, it’s been a tad busy for a few days. Xxxxx, I appreciate the friendship we have developed even though it has just been through the bank. I feel like I can be honest, and share these things with you. This way you will know how to pray for me, and know where I’m coming from as a pastor and Christian.

The Lord has brought me a long way, and of course I still have a long way to go. God saved me in December of 1986 (I’m thinking about having my 20th spiritual birthday party this December), and I began pastoring in November 1997. I have done a lot of reading, and talked to a lot of Christians and pastors over the years. Some of the things I share with you may seem judgmental, but it is because I love the Lord and His creation that I say these things. I do hope that it falls in the “speaking the truth in love” category (Eph.4:15). Like the Apostle Paul I can say: 1) By the grace of God, I am what I am; 2) I remember from whence I came and that I was once a child of disobedience; 3) I do not differ from another. Yet, there are some serious problems in the body of Christ that I would like to share with you…

What should a church be like? Well, we both know there are many aspects to the ministry, and that no one local church is perfect. Yet, there are many that are definitely no where near where they should be. A local church should be God-glorifying, Christ honoring, and bible centered. They are to worship in Spirit and Truth through the songs sung, prayers prayed, and the word of God proclaimed, received and obeyed. Most churches today are more man-centered than they are God-centered in doctrine through song and preaching/teaching. Such churches are putting tradition and experience ahead of biblical truth. Many churches today are more concerned about numbers, money, or thinking they can “slip” people into the Kingdom of God. So they are more about entertainmentism, feel-goodism, and compromising the gospel. They compromise the Gospel by not dealing with the sin problem and the need for a “repentant” faith in the Person and Work of Christ for salvation. Often, it’s things like “Just ask Jesus into your heart” and “Give your life to Christ.” It is getting harder to find churches that still proclaim the biblical gospel of the perfect life, perfect sacrifice, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ that saves those who trust in Him for who He is and all He has done with a repentant faith. It is getting harder to find a church who really gets into the word of God, and Christians who really want a church that gets into the word of God. Both are more concerned about programs and music and feeling good about themselves. For many, it is not the “Lord’s Day” but the “Lord’s Hour.” 30 minutes of music, announcements, and offering; 15-20 minutes of preaching; 10 minutes for an altar call. Those churches that do go longer, usually go longer with worship in song and other things, but keep the preaching short. Then the preaching is usually topical messages, and they barely skim the surface about really finding out what God’s word says. Churches like ours that have expository preaching can hardly keep people there because Christians that are supposed to love the Lord and His word don’t “really” want to hear from God and all He has to say, so they move on looking for a church that keeps it short, topical, and doesn’t preach and teach anything that may “offend” them. Some of them want the so called spectacular and exciting stuff like the tongues speaking and healing. Tongues is the speaking of a human language that is unknown to the speaker, but known to the people of that nation/land. Not the unintelligible non human stuff that so many pentacostal, charismatic, and word-faith churches are promoting and speaking. God certainly continues to heal today. But He heals according to his will and good pleasure. If people really have the gift of healing, they need to get out to the hospitals, nursing homes, and personal homes. But usually, these churches do not want to really get in to the word of God through verse by verse teaching and preaching.

Again, I’m not any better than anyone else. But by God’s grace, I will not, cannot compromise on the gospel and proclamation of His word. I’m looking for Christians who love God’s word as they should. If they are saved, they will want to hear from God through His word. They will not be able to get enough of Him. God’s word is His means to find out all about Him, His plan of salvation, and His will and ways for the lives of His people. I’m looking for Christians whose eyes have been open to see these problems, and who want to worship and serve the Lord with me through a bible centered church that lifts up the Person AND work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and gives praise and glory to the One who created and redeemed a people to worship and enjoy Him forever. But again, it is through His word that these things are accomplished. I’ll be honest with you Xxxxx. I hope I’m wrong. But out of the approximate several dozen churches in our town, I think there is only a small handful of them that are doing these things. And yes, by the grace of God only, our church is one of them. My church was doing this before I got here. I’m just continuing the ministry that the founding pastor started as God enabled.

Please pray with me and for me. Check out these things for yourself. If God shows you that these burdens I’m sharing with you are indeed true, ask Him what He would have you to do. How much does your church really get into the word of God? Is the “biblical” gospel being proclaimed there? Is the worship in TRUTH and not just in Spirit? Prayerfully consider these things and what the Lord may have you to do. Continue to check out our church website, and read some articles and listen to some sermon messages.

I love you man, I’ll be praying too. I hope that you accept this e-mail in the spirit and heart that it is intended to be. I close with the following Scriptures for your consideration. It will be a lot, so please take the time you need to read and consider them. I have an “instaverse program” that is just in the KJV (because it was free, LOL). Let me know if you want to get together to discuss these things, just do it by e-mail, or just let it drop. Thanks brother. May God receive the glory He alone deserves... Brother Bret

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

Are Arminian Baptists Legitimate Biblical Churches?

With all the discussion going on about whether Presbyterians are biblical churches because of infant baptism, I would like to ask if we believe that Arminian Baptist churches are legitimate churches? If a Baptist Church, regardless of their affiliation if any, believes in a universal, insufficient atonement by Christ, issuch Baptist Church really a biblical church? And if so, how can we say that it is when it involves the very heart of the gospel in the atonement. Further, how can we say that those Presbyterian churches that believe in a particular, sufficient atonement yet infant baptism are not biblical, yet those that believe in a universal, insufficient atonement yet believers baptism by immersion are biblical churches. Inquiring mind wants to know ;- ). Thanks..... P.S. Still Baptist and thank the Lord for it!