Skip to main content

"The Pastor and His Prayer Life" By Pastor Scott Welch (http://oursovereignjoy.blogspot.com)

Great Blog article I came across...

The Pastor and His Prayer Life

In First Timothy 2, Paul exhorts Timothy (and therefore all pastors) to be a man of prayer. When I went off to Bible College in 1998 my father-in-law gave me the very same exhortation. He said, "Scott, make sure you study hard, but more than anything be a man of prayer." I found that studying hard was easier to do than to commit my life to prayer (and it is still that way). Satan has no problem with us studying in the flesh, even when we are studying God's Word. Prayer is hard work; in fact it is war. Studying can lead one to think highly of oneself; prayer is humbling. This is why studying God's word should always be coupled with prayer. Paul, being a man of prayer, understood this and gave these inspired words to young Timothy and to all men who are called to the pastorate. The wise apostle gives Timothy at least four truths concerning the pastor and his prayer life.

1. Pastors are to pray for everyone.

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people" (1 Tim. 2:1). This seems so obvious that it shouldn't have to be stated. But Paul did not think so. He tells Timothy that if he is going to be effective and God-centered as a pastor, he must "pray for all men." Pastors are called to bombard heaven for everyone that they come across. This destroys any myth that pastors only work on Sundays (if anyone really believes that anyway). The work required from a pastor in prayer alone is a full time responsibility. This may be why there are so many weak pastors and weak churches out there today. This may be why I am weak and not as effective as I could be in the gospel ministry of Jesus Christ.

2. Pastors are to pray for our leaders.

"for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way" (1 Timothy 2:2). Christians have the tendency to do more lobbying against our leaders than praying for our leaders (I'm not saying all lobbying is wrong, but what good does it do if we aren't praying?). All leaders in our government and every government in the world receive their power from God Himself (Romans 13:1). As pastors, are we praying for George W. Bush? Nancy Pelosi? Dare I say it...Osama Bin Laden? This does not mean that we deny evil acts done by leaders. Remember, Jesus commands us to pray for our enemies. You must recognize people as your enemies in order to pray for you enemies. However, we are to pray for our enemies nonetheless. This is especially true when they are leaders in government. Pastors are to be an example to their flock in this regard.

3. Pastors are to pray worshipfully.

"I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling" (1 Timothy 2:8). My father-in-law recently had a discussion with me about churches that encourage their members to hold hands when praying. He said, "The Bible doesn't tell us to hold hands, it tells us to raise them!" Why is this? I am a Baptist, and I love to raise my hands during prayer and singing as well. Prayer is to be worshipful. Holding hands carries with it the idea of fellowship (there is nothing wrong with fellowship); but the priority in prayer is worship, not fellowship. Prayer is when God's people, both individually and corporately, communicate with their loving Father through the Mediator Jesus Christ. Paul is reminding Timothy that he is the worship leader of the church. Hear me on this. I don't care if your church has a staff member with the title "Worship Leader." The Pastor is the worship leader in God's eyes. It is the pastor that is responsible and accountable before God for the worship of a local church. This begins with a worshipful prayer. Pastors are to live this in private as well as model it from the pulpit.

4. Pastors are to pray with an attitude of repentance.

"lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling" (1 Timothy 2:8b). This is not rocket science. How can a man of God lead the people of God in prayer, how can he have an effective prayer life if his heart is filled with anger and quarreling? He cannot, of course, rid himself of these things with his own willpower. It is only through repentance that comes from God Himself and trusting in Jesus and His cross that the pastor can pray with repentance. Pastors should not be afraid that their people know they are sinners (this doesn't mean you have to tell every single church member every single sin you commit); but it does mean they need to know that their pastor is not "superman." They need to know that pastors need the exact same grace that they need. They need to know that the prayer life of a pastor is hindered when there is no repentance. Again, pastors are to model this from the pulpit and live it from their lives.

I do not consider myself to have arrived as a "man of prayer." I don't write about this because of what a great prayer I am. Many times, as a Christian and a pastor, I am ashamed of my prayer life. I feel like R.C. Sproul when he said that he did not write about God's holiness because he was a holy man, but because he was so unholy. Pastors and their people, let us pray together for each other that we will become men of prayer as we lead God's sheep. Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

Are Arminian Baptists Legitimate Biblical Churches?

With all the discussion going on about whether Presbyterians are biblical churches because of infant baptism, I would like to ask if we believe that Arminian Baptist churches are legitimate churches? If a Baptist Church, regardless of their affiliation if any, believes in a universal, insufficient atonement by Christ, issuch Baptist Church really a biblical church? And if so, how can we say that it is when it involves the very heart of the gospel in the atonement. Further, how can we say that those Presbyterian churches that believe in a particular, sufficient atonement yet infant baptism are not biblical, yet those that believe in a universal, insufficient atonement yet believers baptism by immersion are biblical churches. Inquiring mind wants to know ;- ). Thanks..... P.S. Still Baptist and thank the Lord for it!