Skip to main content

Interesting Thought-Provoking Article About Satanic Influence and Watching Harry Potter & Narnia By James Spurgeon (http://howlingcoyote.blogspot.com)

Are We This Shallow?

This may be a bit of a rambling post. I'm thinking out loud here. . . .

I scratch my head and wonder, sometimes, at what evangelicals do. I wonder what the world thinks of us. We are, by and large, a very shallow people, in my opinion.

That's why we fall for poor theology in the guise of great, new teaching ministries. That's why we chase every new fad thinking this is what God is doing today or this is what will usher in the great revival we've always dreamed of. That's also why we are such a superstitious lot.

Let me start with that last part. We are a very superstitious people. When I was growing up, for example, I was taught that Satan was everywhere and in everything and he was just waiting to exert supernatural demonic influence over my life if I just messed up by giving him a point of access. Thanks to great men of the faith like Jack Chick and Bill Gothard, I found out these points of access could be anything from a statue of Buddha, to a rock music album, to a cabbage patch doll.

If something bad was happening in my life, or if I was struggling with some particular sin like lust, it wasn't because I was in puberty and my hormones were jumping out of my skin, it was because I had demonic influences being channeled into my life via dungeons & dragons dice or Tolkien novels.

As I got older, this superstitious thinking got reinforced by the teaching of rock & roll evangelists like David Benoit who could find Satanic influences in boxes of corn flakes if he wanted to. Here's a snippet to show you what I'm talking about:


"In the past several years, David has used his vast knowledge of the occult and the New Age movement to show how Satan is subtly gaining entrance into our families and our churches through seemingly harmless children’s toys, movies and cartoons. He has authored four books on this subject."


Add to that the writings of popular evangelical novelists like Frank Peretti and you'll see that this superstition does not limit itself to the extremes of right-wing fundamentalism. It is thoroughly a part of our American evangelical culture.

That's why we are scared to death of Harry Potter. It has witchcraft. It is wildly popular. And it is geared towards our children. It must be evil.

If you think Harry Potter is going to steal your children's souls, then you don't have much faith in God.

Seriously.

I once overheard a conversation between a concerned parent and a youth pastor that went something like this:

Parent: I'm concerned about this popular game some of the kids are playing called Dungeons & Dragons. Heard of it?

Youth pastor: Oh yes.

Parent: Well, what can you tell me about it?

Youth pastor: I can tell you it has sorcerers and demons in it.

Parent: Oooh. That bad, huh?

Youth pastor: Yeah, that bad.

Parent: Well, that settles it. That's all I needed to hear. It's going in the garbage. Thanks for helping out.

I don't think it occurred to either one of them that those exact same observations could be made about the Bible. In fact . . .

What if I told you I had a very popular book - an ancient text, describing an ancient religion - and it included stories involving witches, pagan deities, human sacrifices, magic incantations, sorcerers, so on and so forth? Add to that full chapters of graphic sexual material and stories with plot lines revolving around incest, homosexuality, and prostitution. Would you allow your children access to such insidious material?

I trow not. Not if you care for your children, you wouldn't. . . .

Of course, you realize I'm talking about the Bible, but I hope you see my point.

God has condescended to reveal himself to man. He has chosen to do so through the faculties of reason. Sadly, evangelicals seem to have thrown reason to the wind, of late, and have latched onto blind superstition - a poor substitute.

So while we worry whether or not Satan is secretly influencing our home through an innocent-looking angel figurine, and while we worry that our children's souls may be stolen by Harry Potter, our children grow up without ever having been exposed to something of real value - biblical wisdom and discernment.

At the same time . . .

We chase fads like a bunch of google-eyed kids thinking that every latest thing is what is going to turn the tide for us and usher in the new age of revival.

We superstitiously repeat the mantra of Jabez every day knowing that this is going to bring us (and the Church) into the golden age of Christendom. God has been waiting all these years to unleash this secret upon us through mass marketing and (aren't you excited?) the world is about to change because of it.

When that doesn't pan out and Jabez has gone into that desk drawer next to last year's WWJD bracelet, we seemingly don't notice, because, like children, we have been captivated by the next fad. Mel Gibson comes along and, through film, is going to accomplish what the God-ordained means of gospel preaching through the Church hasn't accomplished in 1900 years. The world is going to be brought to Christ because of his film - a truth attested to by the signs and miracles God did on set during the filming.

Then, after sincere, but gospel-denying Mel walks away with one of the biggest cash takes in film history, evangelicals have quickly forgotten about that promised revival and are now buying up tickets and renting out theaters to show the world the gospel of Narnia. This will surely do it. Yes, sir. This is it.


Oh really?

Yeah. I'm convinced.

I've come to the conclusion now that it is okay to show my kids the Harry Potter films - as long as I follow them up with the Narnia ones. After Rowling gets them initiated into witchcraft, Aslan will save them and everything will be alright.

By the way, are we still supposed to be boycotting Disney? I guess not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

Are Arminian Baptists Legitimate Biblical Churches?

With all the discussion going on about whether Presbyterians are biblical churches because of infant baptism, I would like to ask if we believe that Arminian Baptist churches are legitimate churches? If a Baptist Church, regardless of their affiliation if any, believes in a universal, insufficient atonement by Christ, issuch Baptist Church really a biblical church? And if so, how can we say that it is when it involves the very heart of the gospel in the atonement. Further, how can we say that those Presbyterian churches that believe in a particular, sufficient atonement yet infant baptism are not biblical, yet those that believe in a universal, insufficient atonement yet believers baptism by immersion are biblical churches. Inquiring mind wants to know ;- ). Thanks..... P.S. Still Baptist and thank the Lord for it!