Skip to main content

"A New Christmas Song: 'I'll Be Home (Not A Church) For Christmas'" By Pastor Ray Rhodes

A New Christmas Song: "I'll be Home (not at church) For Christmas"

Ray Rhodes, Jr.


It looks like church attendees of a number of the nation’s mega-churches will be home for Christmas. Christmas falls on Sunday this year and according to at least one advocate for closing up church shop on Christmas--"Christmas is a family day." And according to Cally Parkinson, a leader at Willow Creek Community Church, "If our target and our mission is to reach the unchurched, basically the people who don't go to church, how likely is it that they'll be going to church on Christmas morning?" (From an AP story on the CNN web-site December 7).

A couple of thoughts race to my mind.

Is going to church on Christmas Day incompatible with the family?

In some churches canceling services will indeed increase opportunity for families to actually be together on a Sunday morning. Many churches have so segregated the family that it’s increasingly rare to find a church that is in reality family friendly on Sunday morning. From the moment a family walks into the door of a typical church they immediately begin going separate directions. Children are sent to preschool, nursery, or something similar. Older children and youth have their own special place as well. And the last thing some churches want in their morning worship service are children who might potentially be distracting. Let’s face it, church is often not compatible with the family. I am not opposed to all age segregation in church but something just isn't right in a church where family is almost always divided out. So perhaps canceling church every Sunday would provide more opportunity for family time in a church where the family is seldom together anyway.

That being said, church should not be incompatible with the family. Some of the most wonderful times that our family enjoys together are at church with our church family. It should be a lovely thing for an entire family to sit together, sing together, and participate together in the services. The last thing I want on Sunday is to be separated from my wife or children. I like being in the same room, singing the same songs, and listening to the same sermon and fellowshipping with the same people--as a family. The entire family gathered together for worship is everywhere assumed in the Bible. It would have simply been unthinkable in the early church to divide up the family for the convenience of the churched or the unchurched.

Is it really our target and mission to fill the church with the "unchurched" on Sunday mornings?

Certainly a primary reason that Christ has left the church on earth is to evangelize unbelievers. However, I think that though Cally Parkinson likely has a sincere desire to reach the "unchurched" she has a faulty view of the Lord's Day gathering of the church. She says, "If our target and our mission is to reach the unchurched, basically the people who don't go to church, how likely is it that they'll be going to church on Christmas morning?"

I would like to respond to her question with a question of my own. How likely is it that an "unchurched" person will attend a Biblically minded church on Sunday (or any other day) anyway? That is if a church is faithful to hold up the character of God as revealed in Scripture and proclaim the need of sinful man to repent and believe the gospel--it is not likely that many unchurched folk are going to be comfortable in a church like that.

I think that one can make a solid Biblical case that Sunday is the Lord’s Day and the Lord has prescribed certain activities that His people are to engage in on His Day. It’s not about whether one should attend church on Christmas day or even celebrate Christmas for that matter. We are not commanded in the Bible to set aside extended periods of time to celebrate the birth of our Lord. We are commanded to gather with the people of God regularly. Though the early church met at a variety of times and places—it seems that the Lord’s Day was especially set apart as a day of congregational gathering for the people of God—even when it was not convenient.

Ray Rhodes, Jr. is President of Nourished in the Word Ministries where he is a teacher, writer, and church planter. You may contact him at 678.697.4495 for speaking enagements, book orders, and church information. Nourished in the Word Ministries is a ministry of Grace Community Church of Gainesville, Georgia. www.nourishedintheword.org

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is fairly tacky, don't ya think? why not just link to the original author's site/page? or write something yourself! even putting the url in the title hardly counts. those people wrote/posted things for their own sites, not yours.
Pester Brat said…
Hi Anonymous. I don't know who you are, so you have the advantage. I don't think it is tacky at all. I know Pastor Rhodes personally. I give credit to who credit is due, and most of the time remeber to provide the link to the actual site. I have his permission and most that we interact with on the Christian Blogs don't mind doing this as long as they get the proper credit. The main purpose of this Blog is to psot various articles for my church and other Christians that read my Blog can read. If you disagree with the post itself, please feel free to comment. Sorry if you think this is tacky, but this is most of what I do here. I will post some of my own material as I have the time, but I am bivocational. If I know you, please reveal yourself, and try using alittle "tact" youself, if you would please. Boise, ID is a long drive to our church ;-). Thank you.....Bret

Popular posts from this blog

Issues I Have Been Associated With Recently

The King James Only Controversy : I have been in 3 churches since the Lord was pleased to save me, the last 2 of them as a pastor. The first church was when I was not a pastor, but did teach Sunday School, and preached occasionally. It was a church that used the KJV of the bible, but neither I or the pastor was hardcore KJV Only. The second church was the first church I pastored. For the sake of some long time members in that small church, I used the King James version for sermons, but after I was there a year or two, I began using the NKJV for Scripture Readings. My third church, which is the one I'm pastoring now in Idaho, does not use the KJV. We offically use the NASB for our sermons, and the ESV many times when quoting other scriptures. I know some of my long time Christian friends from Maryland are KJV Only. I am not. I think it is an issue that we can agree to disagree on, but it seems there may be some that cannot. In the not so distant future, I'll post on the Blog why

Christian Discussions and Chem-Trails

What a title, huh? I just didn't want to post these separately :-). This morning as we were sending off our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren, there was a Chem-Trail right over us in the sky. Have you heard of Chem-Trails? They are chemicals being put in the sky to supposedly help with so called global warming  :-). Sadly, too many people still think this is a conspiracy theory. For those that do, I recommend you just put that in a search engine and see what comes up and just start reading. They come from the exhaust of commercial airliners, but they are not the same as "contrails." Contrails dissipate and follow the plane. Chem-trails stick around. They have certain chemicals in them (Aluminum and Barium are two of them if I recall correctly) and they just add to the list of toxins that our bodies absorb and endanger our health. If more people would pay attention and communicate with our elected officials at all levels perhaps, we could put a stop to this Lord will

Are Arminian Baptists Legitimate Biblical Churches?

With all the discussion going on about whether Presbyterians are biblical churches because of infant baptism, I would like to ask if we believe that Arminian Baptist churches are legitimate churches? If a Baptist Church, regardless of their affiliation if any, believes in a universal, insufficient atonement by Christ, issuch Baptist Church really a biblical church? And if so, how can we say that it is when it involves the very heart of the gospel in the atonement. Further, how can we say that those Presbyterian churches that believe in a particular, sufficient atonement yet infant baptism are not biblical, yet those that believe in a universal, insufficient atonement yet believers baptism by immersion are biblical churches. Inquiring mind wants to know ;- ). Thanks..... P.S. Still Baptist and thank the Lord for it!